Sunday, November 1

Manhattan GMAT :'(

After a long time gave one MGMAT. Didn't write the essays {my bad} and screwed up quant. I always used to think that quant is my strong point but this CAT opened my eyes. I was short of time in the end and made hell lot of mistakes. I had to make blind guesses on 6 questions and what i would call intelligent guesses on as many as 5 questions. So, you see 1/3 of quant section was done by guessing :).

I made 14 mistakes in quant {almost all of my guesses were wrong} and 13 mistakes in verbal. The incorrigible optimist in me tries to assuage my pain by saying that "my performance is balanced", i made almost equal number of mistakes in both sections.

Takeaways:

Need to start writing the AWA,

Improvement in SC and CR but performance has declined in RC {haven't practised RC for past many weeks so i was expecting a dip here},
Made atleast 3 careless mistakes {didn't even read the question properly}
Poor time management

Quant--

Good thing is -- DS has improved,
Bad thing is -- PS has taken a hit {am an engineer and any engineer would laugh at me if i share my quant score with him/her }
* Poor time management
* Was not able to apply the fundamentals
* Calculation mistakes
* to add to all this i made atleast 3 careless mistakes{didn't even read the question properly}



The target is to bring the no. of mistakes down to a maximum of 4 or 5 in each section. I need to get my fundae right in "inequalities", "number properties" and "set theory". Also, will have to start practising RC.

2 comments:

gmatclub said...

What score did you get? Did you improve? That's the main question.

The number of questions you miss on a GMAT does not matter for 2 reasons:
1. Experimental questions that do not count - there are as many as 30% of them
2. The test is adaptive, so always tests you at the limit of your abilities - you will inevitably make mistakes.

What counts on the GMAT is the number of hard questions you answered correctly.

So...... don't get discouraged. I've seen people miss 14 questions on the GMATPrep and still walk away with Q48 or V42 - focus on the score and make sure you save/copy/print every mistake/guess you make - make a study guide out of these and review on a weekly basis - these will be one of your most helpful tools.

KT said...

i got q48 ... but in my previous tests i never got anything below q50 ... so this was discouraging...Thanks a lot for the insights.... :) ..

Are you sure that experimental questions are as high as 30% of the total ques??